Monday, July 26, 2010

The first few minutes....

My Pz II edges down the road, checking the woods (A) which wind up to be empty. However, some enemy infantry are found skulking around far end of the field (B) and in the house east of the (A) woods.

I bring my 2 APCs into the woods west of field (B). My truck born mortar and squad head into woods (A). The Mk III and Mark IV begin engaging the infantry around field (B) and the house.


So far so good. I've only activated some infantry and have cleared my entry part of the board edge of potential enemies.

My infantry debark from the halftracks (my personal leader is in the leftmost halftrack) and trucks, while my 81mm Mortar begins setting up. Desultory Russian fire does not damage me (and I gain my 1st elan points needed for promotion, directing my squad's fire). In addition, an Event is drawn that turns out to be a directed battery of 105mm howtzer fire (thanks to the priceless Storch). The German concentrated fire breaks the nearest Russians up and routs them. Time to move on eastward !

I cross field (B) and clear clump of trees (L) in preparation to use it as a new firebase for my advance. More Soviet infantry is revealed further back and appear to be advancing to contest me. Suddenly, from behind the westernmost woods around field (M) emerges a T-34  M40 belching fire !

Luckily the Soviets is a poor shot and he misses my Pz IV by a mile. My experienced crews begin to take on this priority target with the Pz IV engaging from the front and the Pz III attempting to maneuver for a flank shot. Cards are pulled and the Germans get the jump (those "Any" cards are worth their weight in gold !)

Luck is with me- the Pz III hits but does no damage, but the Pz IV critical hits the turret front- the shot penetrates and the T-34 is destroyed ! A hornet's nest has been stirred up, however, as more Soviet infantry emerges and begins to close with my advancing troops (you do not want to get into close combat with Soviet infantry- they hold the advantage there).

Note the vehicle card in the upper left keeping track of who is on that APC !
Five or so minutes have gone by, and I've managed to destroy a T-34 and kill/rout some Soviet infantry. My superior firepower begins to tell, and the Soviet counter-attack falters despite the help of a Soviet 82mm Mortar team in woods (C). My central firebase group (Infantry Section and LMG section) in the woods East of field (B) takes a pounding but still manages to return fire effectively. Concentrated tank HE and infantry fire puts paid to the mortar before it can do much more damage. 

Meanwhile, my skulking in the rear (I am on the far left of the picture in the woods near the board edge) has come to an end, as a 251/1 comes to pick me up so I can renew the advance to the westernmost woods boardering field (F).

As my APC enters the woods, Soviet infantry along with a Heavy MG team activates to the East across the field. The HMG pummels the APC and bullets enter the passenger side vision slit, killing the driver. We come to a screeching hald and bail out, stunned and under a hail of fire, with Soviet infantry bearing down upon us.

My APC burns merrily from the HMG in the foreground as the Soviets close in for the kill.
My 81mm Mortar is finally on line, and with help from the leader in woods (L), it brings down its fire on the advancing Soviets (for simplicity, leaders can call in on-board mortar fire) and us as well. The experienced mortarmen manage to rout the Soviets just in front of my positions without causing me any casualties (I think the fact that we cowering stunned face down and in no condition to do anything else had something to do with this as well :D) but my halftrack takes some damage and is finally hors de combat.

So, after about 8 minutes of game time I have lost a halftrack, but have destroyed a T-34, 82mm Mortar, HMG and some Soviet infantry. Not a bad start at all.


No comments: