Monday, August 16, 2010

Pressing the advantage....

The Soviets manhandle the gun to the backside of hill A, where they can hold up my advance down the road until I can clean them off. My infantry working its way through the woods on the hill squares off with the Soviets, using its superior firepower to keep them at arms reach (and out of melee range) while the mortar lays down good supressive fire on the gun, allowing me to work around the hill and bring more firepower on the defenders.

The Germans work their way around the hill

I clear field C and house D, working my way west of the road, but the Soviets start popping up on and around hill E. Things are heating up all across my front now.

A BT-7, T-26 and a  T-34 makes an appearance, along with a scattering of rifle sections around hill E. I quickly manage to destroy the BT-7 and T-26 (that armor is terribly weak) and drive off the infantry, but the T-34 parks his butt and proceeds to blast my troops. His front hull armor is virtually invulnerable (except to a fluke or critical hit) and I can't flank him since I don't even control hill A yet.

Luckily the Soviet resistance on hill A crumbles, allowing me to assault the farm F and begin to flank that nasty T-34 (his gunnery is terrible- miss, miss, gack (broken gun) which he hurredly manages to fix).

The T-34 begining to be flanked
My Pz IV and Pz III ding rounds off the T-34, limiting his actions (a hit does not neccesarily have to penetrate to affect an AFV- multiple hits can reduce the amount of things an AFV can do). A lucky shot tears into a track, immobilizing the T-34. The crew fails its "oh crap" roll badly and bails. Victory !

I finally clear off hill A, and capture the 45 AT gun which I intend to turn against its former owners with the help of my personal leader. Now, the next stage is to mount an advance to the crossroads- only rifle sections appear to be appearing and those I can brush off with HE/MG/Infantry fire.

Onward to the crossroads !
I embark my infantry and head towards woods H and I. So far not much appears that can stop me. The few rifle sections I disperse with the help of me on the overwatching 45 AT (which thankfully hasn't gacked or run out of ammo).

I get my troops up and organized for pressing across to field Q to clear the crossroads.

Soviet resistance flares anew in the form of BA-6 Armored car and BT-7 on the far side of field Q and some rifle sections in house M. They may have weak armor, but that 45 gun can hurt my early war German armor so caution is the keyword !

Right before the final push (hopefully)

My forces are ready for what I hope is the victory push to clear the SE part of the board. With 10 min still to go to clear the ? markers, it might be a bit tight time-wise but is definitely do-able.....

No comments: